Here at The Wilton Street Craft Co. we want you to get the most possible enjoyment from our candles and to burn them safely so we have put together these tips which we hope you will find useful.
- Always trim the wick 5mm before lighting or relighting your candle. This will prolong the candle's life and helps prevent 'mushrooming' of the wick causing a smoky flame.
- When lighting your candle for the first time burn until the melt pool has reached the edges of the glass, before extinguishing. This will allow the candle to burn evenly and avoid tunnelling (where only a small burn pool is achieved and not all the wax is utilised, a narrow tunnel forms in the candle). By following this advice much more of the wax will be used over the lifetime of the candle resulting in longer enjoyment and only a small amount of wax residue in the glass at the end. A full burn pool will also allow a better throw of scent to be achieved as well.
- For best results allow a candle to be lit for 3-4 hours at a time.
- Candles in our mini candle range (small vintage shot and sherry glasses) should ideally not be burned for more than 1 and a half to 2 hours at a time due to the delicate nature of the glass.
- Place your candle on a flat, stable, and heat-resistant surface.
- Always burn your candle within sight, never leave unattended.
- Keep the candle free from foreign materials such as burnt matches or wick trimmings; these will discolour the wax and cause a fire hazard.
- Keep your candles clear of curtains or other flammable materials and try to avoid locations where a draught may affect the flame.
- Space your candles apart if you are burning more than one at the same time.
- Lady advises you keep burning candles out of reach of pets and children.
If you have an questions or concerns then please get in touch with us and we will do our best to help you.
The Wilton Street Craft Co - we do candles differently. Join the mailing list to be the first to shop new scents, exclusive sales and see behind the scenes.